Friday, August 21, 2009

Sleep Time

Recently, I have decided to hold my ground about sleep time. When it is time for a nap I will go through our routine of songs and turn on some bedtime music and place Andrew in his crib. He doesn't like this very much and will usually protest with screams of anger. I do peek in from time to time to make sure he is alright, but I don't let him see me. At first I would go in and try and comfort him, but this would just upset him more when I left. Now I just let him scream it out. He was screaming for up to a half an hour (I do have a stubborn child, not sure where he gets it from), but now he is screaming less and less. Sometimes I find him sleeping in funny positions like he was screaming, but all of the sudden fell asleep and fell forward. I have found him sleeping on blankets, the railing, toys and many times his own legs. Good thing he is flexible!

Wish Patrick luck because I am going to start doing this at night when Andy wakes up. I need him to sleep through the night, so we must suffer through the training first.

6 comments:

Joel and Crystal said...

It's so hard to hear them screaming but you're right. It will be good for both of you. Good luck.

Jana said...

You go, girl! Having the backbone for "sleep training" is one of the things on our "things to do differently this time around" list. :) Breyton's a great sleeper, but he STILL doesn't ususally fall asleep on his own at night!

Amber said...

Ooh, I am not looking forward to this part of parenting. Keep us updated on how it goes. Good Luck!

dancjeans said...

consistency, good plan

Austyn said...

these are SO funny. how do they fall asleep in those positions??
he is so big and such a cutie!
yes!! let's hang out soon! next 2 weeks are crazy- we have company in town, but after that definitely!!

dancjeans said...

Can't wait to see teeth:)