Friday, September 11, 2009

North East!

Patrick finished his 11 week internal medicine rotation on Friday August 28th. We relaxed that weekend and hopped in the car on Monday for our road trip. We drove to Rhode Island, and stayed the night at the Navy Lodge in Newport, RI. I really like this Navy Lodge, it has a nice view and a trail to run on. Unfortunately it was the only time I ran the whole vacation.



When we woke up on Tuesday we checked out and went on a tour at the Breakers (one of the Vanderbilt Mansions). I am pretty sure that it helped define the gilded age. It was beautiful! If only I was about 100 billion dollars richer. Andy made it about half way through the tour when he just had enough. I stopped on the balcony and worked really hard to get him to sleep, it felt like forever, but he finally went to sleep long enough to finish the tour anyway.



The view from the balcony was beautiful!



Patrick wished it was his home.




Andy was glad to get out of the house and on to the grass. He attracted a whole group of Chinese tourists who wanted to take a picture with him as well as have Patrick take a picture for them.



After grabbing a bite to eat we headed to Maine, where we stayed at another Navy Lodge (not as good of view but still a nice place to stay.) On Wednesday we went to Portland, Maine and toured the Headland Light house. Definitely worth the drive. It was a beautiful and clear day.










We then drove through Scarborough, Maine, for obvious reasons. There wasn't much to see, except for the signs below.




We then set on our way to Bennington, Vermont. As we drove through New Hampshire we realized that the rest stops no longer had McDonald's like in Connect or Burger Kings like Massachusetts; instead they had a State Safety Rest Stop next to the State Liquor store (I wonder if the drinking and driving laws are more relaxed in New Hampshire...if they exist.)




Andy hoped that the legal driving age was lower too, but we still didn't let him drive.


The drive was breathtaking I hadn't seen so many mountains and green trees in a long time. We stayed the night in Bennington. On Thursday we walked around the town but Andy stayed pleasant just long enough to take a picture next to one of the many Moosefest moose, buy a moose book and the 7th Harry Potter, and some chocolates from a chocolate store which had two chocolate moose that weighed about 88 lbs. Then we drove to Ithaca, New York, to visit our friends Josh, Jenny, and their two sons Evan and Breydan (and they have two more on the way!)


On our way to Josh and Jenny's we stopped at Brooks BBQ...Yummy! Another place worth the drive. We also had some ice cream and sat in the Brooks playground. Andy wanted my ice cream so bad that I finally gave in.

















Jenny was a great hostess, she took us around Ithica on Friday. We saw two waterfalls and the campus of Cornell, where Josh is working on his PhD. Jenny stayed in the van while Andy slept and we took Evan and Breydan to see one of the water falls. I was taking pictures of Patrick and the boys when someone offered to take a picture of all of us; I decided why not? Aren't they cute little boys!? Thanks Jenny for the tour, the yummy meals and for letting us stay with you!!!
On Saturday we drove to Palmyra, NY. We were hoping to meet up with Patrick's old roomate, Morgan, and his wife, Keara, but it didn't work out. We took the tour around the Smith's family farm. And then walked through the Sacred Grove. Andy needed a power nap again, and then he was good to go for another half hour or so. Then we headed home.























We finished Patrick's time off with a trip to on Labor Day to see Crystal and Joel Ross. Andy was able to try some corn on the cob, as well as some watermelon. We had a great time, and Andy had alot of fun with Robert and Rebekkah.






Well, that's it for now. We'll try to post a bit more often in the future. Stay tuned!

3 comments:

Ashley B. said...

Great pics! How fun! Did you happen to notice the historical marker of national importance in Bennington where Peter Timothy Bontorno was born??? :)

Grammie said...

Thanks for the update. Andy, you are my happy place. I go there when I feel I need to smile or laugh.

dancjeans said...

I loved the pics of the light house and the ocean. It reminded me I have not been to the coast in some time. Looks like you had a marvelous time. The pics of Andrew and the ice cream cone to cute!