Friday, December 21, 2007

Realizations

Once again, I find myself posting to our blog after a long dry spell. It seems that these dry spells are more common of late. We have good reasons; Julie works long hours teaching and I study. There is always room for improvement, however, and I am determined to make some progress in the blogging world. From now on, we will post at least once a week! "How?", you ask. "Your lives are only going to get busier. Julie is now Relief Society President and you, Pat, are starting the really difficult part of the first year of medical school. How are you going to find the time to write something about your life once a week?" My answer to this is really quite simple; late night ramblings (much like this one). They won't make much sense, but they don't have to. As a matter of fact, late night rants and raves are often the most entertaining blogs on the web. So, my one or two dedicated readers, from now on you will be able to read a new blog from Julie and me at least once a week. I only ask that you keep in mind that most of them will be written after I have spent several hours with my head buried in a medical text!

Now, to get to the title of this blog. I realized today that I am a nerd. This may not be news to the world at large, but it is to me. I've always felt that I was studious and rather bright. However, I also felt that I was in touch with what my generation considers fun and cool. I then had two experiences today that have radically changed my assessment. The first came when I read an email from my Clinical and Developmental Anatomy professor to the class at large. He was explaining to us his policy for reviewing the exam one-on-one with him when we return from the break. One of his comments was the following:

"I appreciate that many of you who PASSED may feel you need to see me individually regarding any number of things: your score, how to do better, your score, what happened on the practical, why you thought the esophageal hiatus was the internal anal sphincter, etc. I also know you will understand that my first priority when we come back must be to meet with those students who failed."

I don't know about you, but I found this HILARIOUS! I laughed for at least five minutes. I mean, the whole part about confusing the internal anal sphincter with the esophageal hiatus had me rolling. Who would confuse those two? They're at opposite ends of the body! I was about to call someone (Phil, actually) when I stopped and realized that he probably wouldn't laugh, at least intially. I even imagined how the converation would proceed:

Phil: Hello?
Me: Dude, what's up?
Phil: Do you know what time it is?
Me: Of course. It's like 8:00.
Phil: I'm three hours behind you, dumba**! It's five in the morning here!
Pat: Oops. Sorry. Hey, I have something funny I wanted to tell 'ya.
(I then relate the above story and quote)
Pat: Isn't that hilarious?
Phil: &#$%@@! (Hangs up)

Maybe I'm exaggerating Phil's reaction (he would probably only swear once), and I'm glad I didn't call at 8:00 when I read the email. However, I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have thought the email was as funny as I did. The silence after I told the joke would have been funny, though. Unfortunately, I am now one of those people that laugh at obscure jokes about random scientific facts. To quote a blog I frequent, "Oy Vey!"

The second incident occured later in the morning. I took the Bx21 bus to the Morris Park Branch of the New York City Public Library. I wanted to get a book to peruse during the break, something that had nothing to do with medical school and would allow me to relax for a few days. I left the library, book in hand, excited to get back to the apartment and start reading. What was my choice, you ask? "Napoleon: A Biography" by Frank McLynn (it is really good so far, and I'm only 50 pages into it). That's right! For relaxation I chose a 668 page biography of Napoleon Bonaparte. Once again, Oy Vey!

So there it is. I no longer live in the delusion that I am cool. I'm not. I'm a nerd and a geek. I enjoy discussing the finer points of evolution with anyone who will listen and, in the next breath, will launch into a speech about why Abraham Lincoln was, hands down, the best President the United States has ever had. I can't help it. It's who I am. It's who I will always be. Now if you'll excuse me; there's a story about Napoleon that is begging to be read!

2 comments:

dancjeans said...

Well I guess I am one of the one or two who care. Love to read your blog. They are very amusing. No pressure though. New reading material weekly is not necessary. Once in a while is nice.
Love
Mom/Debbie

Grammie said...

At least you have one or two of us to read your blog. Yes, son, I knew you were a nerd. But, mom loves you anyway. By the way Merry Christmas. and Julie congrats on your new calling. Love Mom