Monday, August 13, 2007

Go East, Young Man (Day Six)!

Although it has been almost two weeks since the Scarborough Bronx Expedition arrived at our final destination, I thought that I would provide an account of the last day of our journey. We awoke at 3:00 a.m. on August 1, loaded the truck, and were on the road by 4:00. The drive into New York City was actually quite uneventful. That early in the morning, even New Yorkers are less active than usual. The drive across the George Washington Bridge into Manhattan was pretty exciting, however. It marked the final leg of the journey and our entrance into New York. We arrived at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine (AECOM) at 6:00 a.m. and began the laborious process of unloading the Penske and moving everything upstairs into Julie and my new home. The security guards at the building were extremely helpful; they let us unload behind the building and bring everything in through the basement. It saved alot of time and effort. I also enlisted the help of two fellow BYU alum in the process. We were done by 10:30. This is what the apartment looked like immediately after we finished; I did manage to clean it up a bit by the time Julie arrived!





Dad and I then embarked on a series of adventures in New York over the next week. We went to City Hall and walked across the Brooklyn Bridge, visited New Jersey in search of family gravesites, and observed New York City from the top of the Empire State Building. We had a great time and I look forward to many more visits from family and friends.



The final five things I learned from our trip are:

1. Despite the fact that he's known me for over thirty years, my father still calls me "Phil" at least once a day.

2. The Mormon connection is worth its weight in gold; you can always count on instant friends once you arrive at a new location.

3. Julie and I have way too much stuff!

4. Even though I've traveled quite a bit during my life, I still feel like a hick in New York City.

5. Even though he's almost sixty-two years old, my Dad is still fun to hang out with.

Well, the move is over (although we're still trying to find a place for all of our stuff). Julie and I are back together again and we're looking forward to four years in the most exciting city in the world! We expect lots of visitors, so start making plans; an exciting trip to the Bronx awaits!

1 comment:

Grammie said...

I got all your pictures. Sounds to me like you are on a great adventure.
Love you both,
Mom